When it comes to product videos versus product images, a lot of ecommerce businesses choose to exclusively use images. This make sense as video is typically more expensive and time consuming to create than simple photographs and often requires specialized equipment and more in-depth editing.
However, despite these challenges, ecommerce video is still worth it. Ecommerce video most often takes the form of product videos, which are used to showcase value of the products you offer and drive sales. In this post, you’ll learn exactly how and why you should be using ecommerce video to highlight your products and sell more online.
What Video Has to Offer
- There are certain benefits that video can offer than still images and text alone just can’t match. Video is engaging, and it gives users a better understanding of how the product works or looks in real life. Take makeup tutorials, for instance. Photographs of cosmetics on models might be enough for selling beauty products from home via Shopify. However, creating makeup tutorials on YouTube or Instagram can attract new customers or engage existing ones. This can help customers feel more confident making a purchase.
- There’s an abundance of research that backs this up, including the following information sourced from experts. Roughly 65 percent of customers are more likely to buy a product online after they’ve watched a video about it. That means you need to place the idea in your audience’s head. Almost 50 percent of internet users look for videos related to a product or service before visiting a store. Including a video on your homepage can increase conversion rates by 20 percent or more! Adding video to emails can increase click-through rates anywhere from 200-300 percent. Lastly, experts have found that users spend an average of 88 percent more time on sites with videos than those without.
- Not only is video effective, it’s also versatile and you’ll get the best results if you use it in multiple touchpoints online. You should, to start, absolutely be adding video to your website. This includes your homepage if possible, but it’s particularly important for product pages. If customers are able to see videos of each product before they purchase and it’s placed right there on the page while they’re debating clicking that “Add to Cart” button, you’ll see more sales instantly.
- Adding video to your site should be relatively simple. Many Shopify themes come with the option to include video, as do other platform providers. If yours doesn’t, you can use an app like Easy Video or HTML 5 Video add-ons to fill the gap.
- If you’re ready to start creating product videos, you may realize very quickly that there’s a lot of different directions your ecommerce videos can take. Because shorter is almost always better, pick one theme per video and stick with it. Offer consistent videos for each product on your site.
- For starters, a popular one is product close-ups. Product close-ups are unsurprisingly the most popular type of ecommerce video marketing that you’ll see. These videos involve literal close-ups, and often show the product from multiple angles. There may or may not be text or narration detailing different features of the product to help sell it. This is about as close to a face-to-face sales presentation as you’ll get online.
- Something may look excellent online, but we all know that online isn’t real life. We’ve all purchased a product that looked great in theory, but once you were actually using it, it was a nightmare. Maybe it was an electric tea kettle that had a weirdly short plug or was difficult to clean, or an alarm system that went off constantly. Showing potential customers how to use your products (or troubleshoot them) can be of immediate value and keep them coming back to your site. Plus, it shows them exactly how easy it is to use your product.
All of these integrations of video ads make selling easier. Make sure to utilize them for your ecommerce business as soon as possible!