While in a race we have to change gear from time to time. Similarly timely decisions in life can help win the race of life. The same applies for the business. Changes are good and when we are dealing with information technology then to bring change to keep pace with the latest techniques become compulsory. Magento 2.x is one such technology which is gaining wide popularity recently. Magento 2.x was launched in 2015 with many amazing features. Some of these amazing features of this new edition of Magento are user-friendly back-end UI, simplified checkout process and flexible architecture. Magento 2.x will enhance the e-commerce experience for both customers and administrators.
Upgrading Magento to its latest versions is always a good step as it will make your store better and safer. But if your store is running on Magento 1.9 and you want to upgrade to Magento 2 then it is not simple. Actually we cannot upgrade from Magento 1.9 to Magento 2 but we can migrate a Magento 1 store to Magento 2. Magento 1.x and Magento 2.x are totally different platforms. Database, file structure, themes and modules are totally different in Magento 2. Migrating a Magento 1.9 store to 2 involves migration of 4 different components i..e.
Although data can be migrated using data migration tool but we have to re-write theme, extensions and customizations as the thing which are written in Magento 1.x will simply not work for Magento 2 due to platform difference. In this article, I will discuss about why Magento 2.x is far better than Magento 1.x and how it can help you business.
Features that Make Magento 2.x Better than Magento 1.x
Performance is always a major issue which store owners had faced with Magento 1.x. Magento 2.x is here to resolve this issue by following new advancements:-
- For using Magento 2.x, store owners don’t need to install third party’s module on the server.
- Magento 2.x helps in enhancing the speed of the web store as it supports the latest version of PHP i.e. PHP 7 which also have many security fixes.
- In Magento 1.x, images can be optimized manually but in case of Magento 2.x, there are some inbuilt tools through which images can be optimized directly on the server.
Responsive Admin Panel
In Magento 2.x, the Admin Panel has got many amazing improvements and when we compare it with Magento 1.x, we find that it is much more clever and user-friendly.
- In Magento 2.x, store management, information search and navigation to all parts of Admin Panel are quite easy to do.
- If you want to upload new products with Magento 2.x then you will find it much more easier. Along with images and description, you can also upload videos of the product. Magento 1.x didn’t has this feature.
- In the dashboard of Magento 2.x, you can easily keep track of the current status of your business by monitoring the last and top search Terms, Average order, Last order and Last search Terms displayed. This new edition also allow you to keep record of Bestsellers and Customers and also Shipping, Quantity and Revenue Tax.
- Using Magento 2.x, you can easily add or remove the columns on the customer management or orders grid yourself without taking any help of technical expert/developer.
- Magento 2.x supports advanced content staging.
- Magento 2.x supports faster and improved import of product data.
- Using Data Migration Tool you can do fast transfer of Magento 1.x data to Magento 2.x with ease.
- Magento 2.x also has a new marketing section which contains well known tools from Magento 1 like Communications, User Content, SEO and Search and promotions.
Search Engine Optimization and Security
When we talk about SEO and security then Magento 2.x has many advanced features as compared to Magento 1.x.
- Magento 2.x has implemented hashing algorithms for passwords.
- There is a feature of Rich snippets on the catalog pages which supports result in search engines.
Fronted Performance is Improved
- Magento 2.x has new Luma theme which looks much better than the default theme of Magento 1.x.
- Any user can easily access the Magento store via any desktop or mobile device.
- If we set the Guest checkout feature to yes in Admin Panel then it will make it easy for the users to navigate. Also Magento 2.x has a feature that can automatically search the existing registered customers by screening and checking their email addresses.
- If the website visitors want to view the primary content then they don’t have to hang around for the full page load.
- Magento 2.x has smoothen the checkout process which allows customers to create an account on the checkout success page and therefore simplifies the registration process a lot.
- Using Magento 2.x, the customers can easily keep track of their orders in a more broad way and now their order details contains list of all products, quantity, their images and subtotal.
- Now in Magento 2.x, the customer’s billing information is sent from the website directly to the payment gateway which is most secure. Magento 2.x offers many payment options like PayPal, WorldPay, Braintree, Autoruze.net etc.
Much Improved Database Performance Solution
This feature is available only in Enterprise Edition of Magento 2.x in which for different functional area, Magento 2 uses three separate master database for checkout, product data and orders. In Magento Community Edition, only one database is used.
How Magento 2.x is Beneficial for your Business?
If you really want to improve the performance of your Magento store then you must implement Magento 2.x. Now let’s discuss how this new edition of Magento can bring lots of advantages for your business.
Productivity is Increased
If you start using Magento 2.x then it can take your business to new heights by enabling you to manage your store more efficiently. Magento 2.x has new Admin Panel design which provides a smooth interface to your site. You can use Visual Design Editor and blocks and containers even if you don’t have much of technical knowledge.
Scalability is Increased
Magento 2.x features have improved the indexers with more efficient updates. It fastens the query speed and thereby improves the performance of your store. In order to reduce the server load and speed up page load, Magento 2.x is integrated with Varnish Cache. In Magento 2.x, many admin users can edit or create the products simultaneously without worrying about any data conflict.
Conversion Rate is Increased
Magento 2.x offers amazing shopping experience to the users. It enables the store owners to display their products along with their images, videos and descriptions. Users can browse your site using multiple devices like PC, tablet or smartphones. This edition of Magento offers simple checkout process which further helps in increasing the conversion rate for the store owners.
Much Faster and Easier Theme Customization
In Magento 2.x theme core, there is use of CSS and LESS instead of Bootstrap. Magento 2.x also supports CSS preprocessing which highly speed up the page load, boosts up the performance and makes the system search engine friendly.
Although some people have some issues about moving to Magento 2.x but it is quite clear that this platform was designed to provide better experience to customers as well as administrators. It has the flexibility for which Magento is known since so many years and it also adds some important and useful features. The new version can grow as businesses grows. It is also fast with a smooth checkout process to increase conversions and encourage the repeat customers. Experts say that more and more businesses will move to Magento 2.x from either Magento 1.x or from other e-commerce platforms. To keep up, the enormous extensions available should be upgraded to the new version. Hence it will be a great decision if you migrate from Magento 1.x to Magento 2.x as it will help you to get high return on your investment. Magento will support Magento 1.x till Nov 2018 only. As Magento is focusing on the growth and development of Magento 2.x hence no new features or improvements will be done to Magento 1.x. Magento 2.x is going to be huge platform for Magento developers as well as store owners. Features like new search capability, usability enhancements for Admin Panel, better preview functionality, multi-warehouse support, and performance and scalability updates say that there is amazing future for Magento 2.x ahead.
Autho Bio: Brett Dawson is a Web developer at OSSMedia which is a Magento Ecommerce development company and has delivered over 10,000 projects in the past 8 years. Brett alongwith his team members offers development services for leading CMS like Magento. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal etc. Brett has a passion for writing and through this blog he had shared his insight on the popular technologies and many related topics.
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ossmedia
Twitter : https://twitter.com/OSSMedialtd